[lbo-talk] FW: Edward Said passed away yesterday

Brad DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 25 15:00:44 PDT 2003

>Brad's assertions seem the result of fallacious either/or
>(black/white) thinking. Either one accepts the Oslo "Peace" plan to
>set up Bantustans or one is an enemy of peace in general. Said's
>basic criticism of Oslo was that it wouldn't _really_ create peace.

And the road we are on now--the highly predictable road that follows from the smash-up of Oslo--will?

Will the means, and you will the end. Edward Said willed the end of Oslo--which end he (naively?) saw as a means to a "better" peace--and so he willed our highly predictable current situation: we may have lost our last chance to get off the road that leads to the expulsion of the Palestinians and the nuclear destruction of Tel Aviv.

Brad Deong