[lbo-talk] FW: Edward Said passed away yesterday

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Thu Sep 25 18:46:12 PDT 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:00:44 -0700, Brad DeLong <jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Will the means, and you will the end. Edward Said willed the end of Oslo--
>
> which end he (naively?) saw as a means to a "better" peace--and so he
> willed our highly predictable current situation: we may have lost our
> last chance to get off the road that leads to the expulsion of the
> Palestinians and the nuclear destruction of Tel Aviv.

Again, I'm stymied here. How could Said have "willed" anything on that scale? Heck, I'd love to "will" the impeachment of Dubya, and if I could "will" him to the cornfield a la the _Twilight Zone_, I'd be happy to do it.

I mean, did Said possess amazing psychic powers that shaped the minds of the Knesset and Arafat's crowd? Was he come kind of diabolical Sax Rohmer genius of crime who would bend strong men to his "will" through strange occult means?