Marx, Brenner, Technology (Was Re: [lbo-talk] preferences)

kjkhoo at softhome.net kjkhoo at softhome.net
Fri Sep 19 02:45:44 PDT 2003

At 8:44 AM -0500 18/9/03, Carrol Cox wrote:
>kjkhoo at softhome.net wrote:
>>
>> but that does not mean that life was/is idyllic.
>
>Here we go again. Alternatives to the present have to pass the test of
>whether they are "idyllic" or not.

Wasn't there such an implication with "Hunter-gatherers in fact (depending on climate) usually live pretty easy, work-free lives."?

I was responding to the whole quoted paragraph. That "pretty easy, work-free lives" is the stuff of romance. What's true is that they remain much more the masters of their own time than wage workers, say. But in contemporary circumstances, there's a price. However, it's for no one but themselves to decide whether that price is worth paying.

>I presume you claim that (e.g.)
>neolithic villages, Roman slaves, Congolese under Leopold, all lived
>idyllic lives in contrast to hunter-gatherers.

And here we go again. Who's doing the binaries?

Did I claim thus? Or even counterpose them as possible _contemporary_ alternatives to hunting and gathering?

Actually, it would have been more sensible to presume that I might just claim that _some_ forms of living in the USA might just be idyllic in contrast to hunter-gatherers! Even the hunter-gatherers I know might do so! But perhaps your choice of presumption reveals that you think of hunter-gatherers as people from some remote past?

kj khoo