[lbo-talk] Re: Poverty and File-Sharing

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 26 09:21:17 PDT 2003

Dear List:

It seems that the media has been innundated lately with stories of the horror and immorality of file-sharing on the Net. Every day the NY Times, that bastion of liberalism, (sarcasm intended) seems to run another article on the plague of file-sharing and how it reflects a diseased culture.

But what about a diseased culture that allows for more than 1/8 of its citizens to live in poverty? Today's release of poverty statistics ( http://nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Poverty.html?hp ) will probably be cusorily noted and as quickly forgotten. But wouldn't it be great if the poor could sue the wealthy (like the music companies sue file swappers) to put an end to the illegal sharing of wealth among the rich?

I know people on this list share how I feel. I am not posting in an effort to bring your attention to something you unaware of. Just felt something needs to be said and done.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister