[lbo-talk] Friedman's new line on Israel/Palestine

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Sep 26 09:38:29 PDT 2003

> Every time I feel I ready to dismiss Thomas Friedman completely he says
>something I agree with, just as I am about to toss him on the ash heap.
>Today on the News Hour he was talking about the effects of the wall being
>built and (although his logic was a bit tortured) it led him to conclude
>that what is coming in Israel is the "one state solution". That is,
>Palestinians will stop looking for a state and just start demanding the
>franchise in Israel.
>
> Personally, I have always thought that this is the way to go. The
>Israeli government should allow significant right of return, compensate
>those displaced persons whose land has been taken or property rights
>diminished, go through a truth and reconciliation process, declare a single
>state, change the flag and then bend over backwards to make Palestinians
>full citizens so that by the time Jews are overwhelmed demographically,
>Arabs and Jews can trust each other.
>
> I just don't see another answer. A state of Palestine can't really
>compensate the Palestinians for their losses of land inside Israel and the
>two state concept keeps alive the notion that Jews and Arabs can't live
>together. Zionists and Arabs can't live together. Jihadists and Jews can't
>live together. Jews and Arabs can live together.
>
> Compared to the horrors of Rwanda or even Guatemala, the
>Israeli/Palestinian conflict does not actually represent that much outright
>crime against humanity for the parties to reconcile themselves to. It was a
>war but it was nothing like Korea or Vietnam or even the recent Balkan wars,
>for example. If not for religion and foreign involvement, it would be a
>relatively small war in world terms. I think it should not be fetishized.

You may be right. Certainly we two-staters have to start facing facts: our project has crashed and burned spectacularly in the 1990s. (Although I can't help wondering if Yitzhak Rabin's assassination really did materially change the course of history.)

Brad DeLong