[lbo-talk] Re: Letter to Amy Goodman on Dali Lama

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Fri Sep 26 11:58:33 PDT 2003

Let's face it; the DL is not too politically astute outside the Tibet-China area (and some would say, within it either). Unfortunately, we can't expect all the world's religious leaders to be fighters on our side.

Jon Johanning

--you see, that is just the kind of reasoning or excuse making I reject. I believe DL is quite astute and aware of what he's doing, he's no dummy. The question is just whose side is this guy on? And why does Amy Goodman believe that he is on the left's side? Or that he should get a free pass when he plainly courts opportunities to meet with people like Bush and not say anything that would upset his relationship with Bush? I believe the answers he gave to Goodman on Iraq and war in general were those of a guy who was covering himself with the pwog lobby that idolises him. Throw them a few bones and they will continue to worship him. Ask him to show up at an anti-war rally that would make him persona non-grata at Pennsylvania Ave...forget it.

Steve