[lbo-talk] Understanding The Dalai Lama's Politics

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 26 16:31:19 PDT 2003

As an admirer of Buddhist thought as defined within the Prajnaparamita sutra, the Vissudhimagga and other quite ancient texts (though not a Buddhist by any stretch) I have always found the popularity of the Tibetan variant - full of glittering ideas interwoven with and weighted down by occult preoccupations - to be very unfortunate.

But, not surprising really. I believe there's a certain cohort of well heeled-citizens who possess no political view of any heft and enjoy the fruits of science without grasping the most basic concepts that should have been taught in school who are vulnerable to what folks in the 19th century sometimes called 'enthusiasms'.

They are seekers but have malfunctioning compasses.

Regarding the Dalai Lama's political views...

This man has had one goal since exile: to reverse the fact of Chinese rule of Tibet. If you review his career carefully this will become clear. He apparently believes that playing the toady to power - soft pedalling and rocking as few Western boats as possible - will accomplish this goal.

So we can say that he is very politically astute in one sense but not a person of wide ranging integrity or large vision. It is important to also bear in mind the heavy shackle that the concept of karma - as interpreted by Tibetan Buddhism - may place upon his mind.

Those suffering a horrible life now must have commited terrible deeds in a past existence.

You can imagine how this belief would complicate, indeed cripple, your appreciation of the need for justice in this life.

Only a person who understood the complexities of Tibetan belief structures could truly pin this man down in an interview and bring out his genuine beliefs. Which could actually be challenged on Buddhist grounds.

There are such people but they are either worshipfully at his feet or no longer speaking to him.

DRM