[lbo-talk] WTO vs OSS?

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Fri Sep 26 19:45:45 PDT 2003

also some IT econometrics from the OECD:

http://www.open-mag.com/features/Vol_76/wsis/wsis.htm

http://www.highwayafrica.org.za/index.html

http://www.itu.int/wsis/

http://www.wipo.org/

> plans to hold a meeting on the subject next year. Meanwhile, Open

> Source software has been added to the agenda of multilateral

> government bodies. Reinforcing this interest, the Organization for

> Economic Cooperation and Development has been developing guidelines

> that encourage the use of Open Source technology.

> In particular, the OECD has identified an important correlation

> factor that helps to better explain both growth and the disparities

> across countries is the investment in ICTs. The data for this

> relationship can be found in the OECD's recent paper Investment in

> Knowledge.

Actually "OECD Science, Technology and Industry Scoreboard 2001"

http://www1.oecd.org/publications/e-book/92-2001-04-1-2987/index.htm

data details (time for your OpenOffice 1.1.0 :-) http://www1.oecd.org/publications/e-book/92-2001-04-1-2987/Annex_tables_excel/At1.1_e.xls methodology details: see box "Measuring investment in knowledge" in http://www1.oecd.org/publications/e-book/92-2001-04-1-2987/A.1.htm

http://www.open-mag.com/features/Vol_76/wsis/wsis.htm

> To get a rough indication of a nation’s investment in knowledge, the

> OECD focuses on public and private spending on higher education,

> investment in software, and expenditure on R&D. Using this formula,

> Sweden, the United States, Korea, and Finland are the four most

> knowledge-based economies, as their investment in knowledge amounts

> to 5.2-6.5% of GDP. What’s more, the ratio of investment in

> knowledge to GDP in Sweden, Finland, and the United States is more

> than two-thirds of the ratio of investment in machinery and

> equipment to GDP.

> The conclusion is clear. Software investment costs are typically the

> second largest component in the OECD’s investment in knowledge

> metrics.

Note that

http://www.open-mag.com/features/Vol_26/swlibre/swlibre.htm

http://www.itu.int/wsis/documents/doc_single.asp?lang=en&id=944