[lbo-talk] Re: Your letter to Amy Goodman

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sat Sep 27 10:21:54 PDT 2003

someone asked:

> I'm genuinely
curious as to which crimes you want to
> prosecute him for.
Is it the general crime of being
> born as the Dalai
Lama and stepping into the
> leadership of Tibet
at the age of 15, when the
> Chinese sent
80,000 troops over the border?

--i've never quite understood what gives a 15 yr. old the authority to run a country...I wonder if Amy Goodman would interview a 15 yr. old appointed by the Dali Lama today as the future 'leader' of Tibet?

------------------- -------------------
> In exile, the Dalai
Lama drafted a democratic
> constitution for a
future free Tibet, and declared
> that he himself
would never hold political office.
> You can regard this
as a cynical ploy to regain
> power, but if you
are really interested in the
> plight of Tibetans,
then it would make more sense to
> support the cause
of their freedom and then work to
> make sure that the
Dalai Lama kept his promises.

--why should we work with anyone who has been on the CIA's dole? Or is cushy with the likes of George Bush? i'm not clear what *we* get out of it other than ideological confusion of the sort that was tossed around during Goodman's interview of this pacifist who thought the carpet bombing of korea was justifiable...