[lbo-talk] Re: Societal

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Sat Sep 27 12:51:16 PDT 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 at 9:25am Devine, James wrote:

> I don't understand this linguistic squeamishness. The
> point is to avoid writing or talking like a bureaucrat or
> a hack in general, not to avoid specific words all the
> time. JD

what does 'utilize' convey or express more clearly than 'use'?

i'm not trying to be a dick about this, but in my experience nobody uses 'utilize' for clarity or nuance; they use it to sound like bureaucrat or to sound sophisticated or 'formal'. but i am open to being educated on some subtlety of 'utilize' vs. 'use'.

btw, i am not wm. safire. i am not dogmatic, but i am critical of and curious about language usage.

(yes, more that 3 -- i'm done now.)

-- no Onan

"superior sound quality"