"Right to Exist" ( Was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Friedman)

Devine, James jdevine at lmu.edu
Sat Sep 27 17:14:07 PDT 2003

i don't see how the idea of the "dismantling of the state of Israel" is relevant. Israel has military supremacy in the region and is totally supported by the only super-power (especially under Bush). The end of Israel isn't going to happen due to any attack by other people. It the current system of apartheid is going to end, it's because those in power -- the Israelis -- decide against continuing their ethnic-nationalist domination and expansionism, in order to create peace.

Jim

-----Original Message----- From: Jordan Hayes [mailto:jmhayes at speakeasy.net] Sent: Sat 9/27/2003 4:17 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Cc: Subject: Re: "Right to Exist" ( Was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Friedman)

> But you use this expression to refer to the idea

> that Israel has a right to maintain its

> ethnic-religious character against the peaceful and

> democratic determinations of the entire population

> that Israel in fact governs.

(I actually wasn't taking sides on the question; I'm just reporting what

is usually the response that I've heard to Joanna's statement ...)

> do I believe that Israel has right to maintain its

> charcter as a Jewish state while ruling over a

> non-Jewish majority whose rights it denies and which

> is makes second class citizens? No, I don't.

I'm just saying that "one state" plus "right of return" is almost

certainly a recipe for either apartheid or the dismantling of what is

currently the State of Israel. I'm just wondering if Joanna (and I

guess now you too) agree that it's the right way to go.