"Right to Exist" ( Was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Friedman)

Thiago Oppermann thiago_oppermann at bigpond.com
Sat Sep 27 21:33:44 PDT 2003

Jordan:

>> do I believe that Israel has right to maintain its
>> charcter as a Jewish state while ruling over a
>> non-Jewish majority whose rights it denies and which
>> is makes second class citizens? No, I don't.
>
> I'm just saying that "one state" plus "right of return" is almost
> certainly a recipe for either apartheid or the dismantling of what is
> currently the State of Israel. I'm just wondering if Joanna (and I
> guess now you too) agree that it's the right way to go.

What is "currently the State of Israel" - isn't it a militaristic monstrosity, a lackey, a monumental insult to us all? Isn't what obtains in the occupied territories every bit as bad as Apartheid, or even worse? Isn't your position a concession of irreducible racism, for why couldn't Apartheid within Israel be overcome? Maybe someone can argue that it cannot. I just don't see how such arguments are consistent with minimally humanist views.

Thiago