[lbo-talk] Re: Your letter to Amy Goodman

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 28 11:58:15 PDT 2003

> --why should we work with anyone who has been on the CIA's dole? Or is
cushy with the likes of George Bush?

Well, two things. First, my point was rhetorical. The sanctimony on display about Tibetan Buddhism's political origins seems to have very little to do with a genuine concern for the people of Tibet. I could be wrong, of course, but those who seem interested in smearing either the Dalai Lama or Tibetan Buddhism b/c of its orgins in a feudal theocracy haven't done much more than argue for guilt by historical association.

So, second, who ever said anything about working with him? The unfortunate thing is that, if you are serious about working for the freedom of Tibet, you're on the Dalai Lama's side, whether you like it or not. I myself have not been working very hard for that cause--beyond giving small sums of money to the Free Tibet foundation. But I could frankly care less if the Dalai Lama met with president Bush or doesn't understand his history, if he is able to mobilize enough good will to pressure the Chinese to withdraw. And, again, what does anybody who takes that cause seriously get by trying to morally isolate the Dalai Lama and the people who follow him?

Christian