[lbo-talk] Sen Miller?

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Sep 28 19:07:52 PDT 2003

I would say offhand that it's a product of the move of American politics from the real world to the world of electronic media, which started with FDR's fireside talks (or maybe it was Al Smith), got a major boost with JFK's boyish looks, and is now just about complete.

To most Americans, everything they see on TV looks about the same as everything else, so what's the difference between an actor or comedian and a "real candidate"?

"I'm not a real President/Senator/governor, I just play one on TV" is pretty much a meaningless distinction at this point.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A gentleman haranguing on the perfection of our law, and that it was equally open to the poor and the rich, was answered by another, 'So is the London Tavern.' -- "Tom Paine's Jests..." (1794); also attr. to John Horne Tooke (1736-1812) by Hazlitt