[lbo-talk] re: my letter to amy goodman

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sun Sep 28 19:14:46 PDT 2003

Christian writes: Well, two things. First, my point was rhetorical. The sanctimony on display about Tibetan Buddhism's political origins seems to have very little to do with a genuine concern for the people of Tibet.

--Is it sanctimony or that no one is supposed to critically question the DL's politics that makes his supporters nervous? ------------------------------

I could be wrong, of course, but those who seem interested in smearing either the Dalai Lama or Tibetan Buddhism b/c of its orgins in a feudal theocracy haven't done much more than argue for guilt by historical association.

--I'd recommend you read some of Barry Sautman's articles on Tibet, his arguments countering much of the free tibet lobby's claims are pretty strong, precisely because you can't come back with the line that Sautman is pro-PRC or WWP or whatever...

------------------------- So, second, who ever said anything about working with him? The unfortunate thing is that, if you are serious about working for the freedom of Tibet, you're on the Dalai Lama's side, whether you like it or not.

--I don't see how that is, really. Why should anyone on the left be inclined to support someone who has little in the way of a progressive vision? Or who reeks of opportunism?

I myself have not been working very hard for that cause--beyond giving small sums of money to the Free Tibet foundation.

--believe me, it doesn't need your piddly sums, the Taiwanese and US gov't help it out plenty...And with his timely calls for forgiving Pinochet when the world was watching to see if he'd be tried in Spain...I'm sure he's getting generous donations from the Chilean ruling class too...not that that'd make Amy Goodman uncomfortable I'm sure...

But I could frankly care less if the Dalai Lama met with president Bush or doesn't understand his history,

--I do care if he meets with Bush and I'd never be so naive as to claim he doesn't understand his history..he obviously does, in a most clever manner...

if he is able to mobilize enough good will to pressure the Chinese to withdraw. And, again, what does anybody who takes that cause seriously get by trying to morally isolate the Dalai Lama and the people who follow him?

---since when is the US invovled in good will?