[lbo-talk] Re: Israel's right to exist.

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 28 20:12:49 PDT 2003

> So is it now clear that this is the goal that the
> world left is working for?
>
> Brad DeLong

Well, it sure as hell doesn't bother you that hundreds of thousands of Pals had to leave, and millions are now living in refugee camps, that Israel is occupying their land in violation of UN resolutions, building walls on it, holding pregnant women in labor at checkpoints, installing settements, strealing water, killing Pal leaders and random people inm the neighborhood with hellfire missiles and Apache atcak helicopters, and announcing the "removal" of the Pal's elected leader. It doesn't matter to you that Israeli Jews have established an ethnico-religious state where non-Jews are given expressly secong class citizenship, and where the maintenance of ethnic-religios dominance is an express goal. And you wonder why people despise and hate you.

However, I do not advocate or desire the expulsion of Israeli Jews from anywhere but the settlements. Those people, the creeps in the settlements, I don't mean the poor schmucks whom the govt plunked down there and who rather be Haifa, but the Brooklyn fanatics who think God gave them the land, those people deserve whatever they get. I have no sympathy.

Ordinary Isrfali Jews, why shouldn't they stay in Haifa. West Jerusalem, Tel Aviv? I mean, stay as citizens of a secular democratic multinational society. Most of them are secular and tolerably democratic minded anyway. The Pals won't mind. Unlike certain Berkeley professors, the Pals are mainly civilized secular people who would just as soon live in peace and on terms of equality with their neighbors.

This is hardly a "world left" goal. It is merely bourgeois democracy. Check out the 1st AMendment, which has something to say about no establishment of religion, or the 14th, which mandates equal protection of the laws, or the 5th and 14th, which say a thing about no deprivation of life, liberty or property without due process. I'm sufficiently old fashioned and ethnocentric to think that bourgeois democracy is good for the Jews. What about you?