[lbo-talk] anti war vs. anti-capitalism?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Sep 29 08:20:03 PDT 2003

Stephen E Philion wrote:

> --I thought it had something to do with the sense that there was
> something worth protesting now, or that protesting is one way to help
> end the mess sooner. I read reports of 20-30 thousand in London btw...

Absolutely not. The folks who organized these protests are affiliated with sectarian groups who plan for these rallies for months. I their vernacular, they have to have lots of time to "build" for the designated day of newspaper selling, er, anti-war protest. While some authoritarian groups like ANSWER can make decisions quickly, they operate on the obslete methods of the left: call a demonstration three months in advance and build and organize for it.

If we had a more decentralized anti-war movement that could organize more quickly in response to outside events, you might see a bigger upswing in activism right now. But the actual start of a war tends to motivate more people than a crisis of confidence in the Bush administration.

> Looks like anti-capitalism and anti-globalization are the "in" thing
> again. Good thing that the post-9/11 activist funk lasted less than two
> years.
>
> --really? by your standards the anti-globalony protests aren't doing
> too hot either...compared to Seattle at least...Cancun was pretty mild,
> no?

The accounts I've read about Cancun indicated that it was pretty "hot." The buzz on the street here in the US is that Miami is going to be "hot" too. I'm seeing lots of sings of increasing activity in the anti-capitalist and anti-globalization movements.

Chuck0