[lbo-talk] Said - responsible for 9/11?

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Mon Sep 29 12:39:42 PDT 2003

Kevin Robert Dean wrote:

> Doug Henwood quotes:
> Ibn Warraq (a pseudonym used to protect himself and his family from
> Islamists) is the author of "Why I am Not a Muslim" and the editor of
> "Leaving Islam: Apostates Speak Out," published by Prometheus Books in
> 1995 and 2003 respectively.
> When I was working for the Center for Inquiry way back, I saw "Ibn"
> speak about his book. He had set up a divider wall behind him because
> he was afraid he would be shot by fanatics.

Again, I'm thinking about Oliver North telling Congress about the need to protect his family from Abu Nidal. Consider: Salman Rushdie writes a novel, pisses off the Ayatollah, and he lives in plain sight and publishes under his own name. Edward Said denounced Arafat and other extremists, and he lived pretty publicly and without this grandstanding, and he wasn't assassinated. Daniel Pearl _is_ assassinated by these creeps, but he was actually _investigating_ them. And _this_ guy, who doesn't seem to be publishing anything terribly noticeable in our current ocean of agitprop, wails about how people are out to kill _him_.

(And it's sad that the CODESH/Center for Inquiry crowd attracts so many wingnuts.)