[lbo-talk] good news! more job declines coming!!

Jacob Conrad jakub at att.net
Tue Sep 30 05:53:19 PDT 2003

I am too young to have experienced "the sixties," but definitely caught the afterglow. All of that shut down with remarkable speed in the subsequent decade, with the "oil shock" of 1973, the collapse of the manufacturing economy in the US, and the "stagflation" of the late 70s. People in the US were scared shitless in the 70s because of the end of the post-WWII boom (Hobsbawm's "golden age"), and I have always felt that this had a great deal to do with creating the cultural/political atmosphere of the Reagan era, which we are in many ways still living in today. I think Doug is on to something about low unemployment contributing to "Seattle"--"Ah, for the late 90s," as someone said. Remember in this connection the big labor victories at UPS and Verizon. About Seattle, though, weren't there some important local factors that contributed too? I'm thinking of the labor strife at Kaiser Aluminum and the fight over logging the old-growth forests, two issues with the same villain--thus "Teamsters and Turtles." Put those local issues together with the years of work around trade and the WTO coming to fruition, against a backdrop of tight labor markets and a general sense of prosperity, and you have the "conjuncture" (in other words, plain dumb luck) that created "Seattle."

Jacob Conrad