[lbo-talk] good news! more job declines coming!!

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Tue Sep 30 06:02:45 PDT 2003

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 10:36 PM, Chuck0 wrote:

> I can't believe that a bunch of smart people on this list still think
> that dissent is tied in with these arbitrary time periods such as "the
> 60s." Activism and dissent happen all the time. People who dissent are
> active agents in the change they create, not some passive pawns of
> econo-historic forces.

Yes, but the level of activity rises and falls -- you can't deny that. The question of why this happens is as interesting and legitimate a historical question as any other one, and it seems fairly clear that it has something to do with economic conditions (Saint Karl, are you listening?), though probably not everything to do with them.

OTOH, it's probably not a very interesting question to many of the most committed activists, who fight on year after year, regardless of how many comrades are at their side.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax