[lbo-talk] Re: feudal models...

Diane Monaco dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
Tue Sep 30 07:54:25 PDT 2003

Kelley wrote:
> feminists--as Diane Monaco tried to point out--reminded us then that
> surgeons (and professionals) are also supported in the educational labors
> by spouses who pick up the slack at home when our
professionals-in-training
> spend 90 hours a week laboring under our feudal model of the professional
> career. (see Max Weber's Science as a Vocation....) The institutional
order
> that supports most professional career models is one that assumes someone
> who has other people to take care of their needs for food, clothing, clean
> dishes, prepared food and, often, for considerably less than were those
> services to be purchased at the going market rate. it assumes someone who
> will expend most of their energy on their careers in the early stages,
> rather than spreading those efforts out over years.

Hey Kelley! Just now following this parecon discussion and wanted to let you know that I was actually hot on her trail a bit ago for another colloquy on these feudal models and other illogical and meaningless gender constructs, its misuses, its abuses, and its ambushings. But as she wildly moved in and out of the artificially constructed boundaries of "production" and "social reproduction" (not the fun kind), she lost sight of herself and I lost sight of her.

So I've called on Lil' Kim and Christina Aguilera for a colloquy of another sort, in our continuing series on meaningless feudal models of gender construction. I hope you don't mind.

With good will from a gender deconstructionist :)

Can't Hold Us Down [Christina Aguilera]:

(So) What am I not supposed to have an opinion Should I keep quiet just because I'm a woman Call me a bitch cos I speak what's on my mind Guess it's easier for you to swallow if I sat and smiled

[...]

If you look back in history It's a common double standard of society The guy gets all the glory the more he can score While the girl can do the same and yet you call her a whore

[...Lil' Kim]:

Now, here is something I just can't understand If the guy have three girls then he's the man He can even give her some head or sex her off But if a girl can do the same then she's a whore But the table's about to turn, I bet my fame on it Cats take my ideas, they put they name on it It's aight though, you can't hold me down I got to keep on movin' To my girls to their man who be tryin' to mac Do it right back to him and let that be that You need to let him know that his game is mac And Lil' Kim and Christina got your back