[lbo-talk] Espionage At Guantanamo?

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Tue Sep 30 09:41:15 PDT 2003

How about

--Hideous disregard for international law and standards!

--Gross shortage of Arabic speakers in the US defense establishment and pipeline? If you like intel-speak, call it part of overall gross neglect of "humint." If you are into Area Studies, call it neglect of Middle Eastern Studies

--Desparation as far as recruiting almost anyone with a pulse to interpret--I know from having intersected with an ad off some list I am on that Camp X-ray is trolling for interpreters on the internet. I doubt I am the only vaguely qualified interpreter (think of interrogating someone in their second language, one they might really rather not be speaking) who, no way in hell, would want to work there.

--Further complicated by the lunatic regimen of ideological vetting and what I would consider a fanatical nutcase level of security. I find it belly-laughingly hilarious that the translator corps could be infested with spies but the Red Cross and consular representatives can barely get near the place and we do not even want to talk about lawyers.

There. End of Tirade.

DoreneC