[lbo-talk] good news! more job declines coming!!

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Sep 30 09:47:03 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck0" <chuck at mutualaid.org>
>There was is no casuality associated between the Seattle protests and
>the economy of the 1990s. Seattle was part of an international day of
>protest called N30, which was the result of much hard activist work and
>the culmination of several long-running struggles which reached synergy
>during N30.

Chuck-- you know I side with you on a certain amount of "voluntarism" in organizing as an independent source of left power and success, but to claim that all activism is completely independent of their economic times seems ridiculous and ahistorical, just as its ridiculous to argue they are completely independent of their political context.

To amend Carroll's original formulation, the key to left success has been the convergence of either extended good or bad economic times corresponding to overwhelming Democratic dominance of the national government.

FDR, Great Depression and overwhelming majorities in Congress= New Deal, strong social movements LBJ, Extended good times and overwhelming majorities in Congress= Great Society, strong social movements

contrary wise looking at some other periods:

Coolidge, good economic times and GOP control of Congress= rightwing policies, little social movement Eisenhower, good times and Dem control of Congress= moderately conservative policies, moderate social movements Clinton, good times and GOP control of Congress= moderately conservative policies, moderate social movements

-- Nathan Newman