[lbo-talk] ooooops

R rhisiart at charter.net
Tue Sep 30 19:04:44 PDT 2003

bail for a felony possession charge sure is low these days. let's see if this noble officer of the court will loose his license to practice if he's convicted of the felony, how much jail time he'll get and where. after all, we don't have a multi tiered system of "justice" do we?

----- Original Message ----- From: Eubulides To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 1:11 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] ooooops

Sept. 30, 2003, 9:04AM

Lawyer making trip to court charged with drug possession By DALE LEZON Houston Chronicle

Houston lawyer Stanley Duane Wilkinson went into court last week to represent a defendant.

But he became a defendant himself.

Wilkinson, 53, is charged with possession of a controlled substance, a state felony.

It all started when Wilkinson approached state District Judge Mark Ellis to handle his client's guilty plea Sept. 22, according to a criminal complaint. The bailiff said he watched the lawyer pull some papers from his jacket pocket and then saw a small plastic bag fall out onto the floor.

"I think you dropped this," bailiff P. Halfin told Wilkinson.

Wilkinson said the bag wasn't his and that he didn't drop it.

Ellis told Halfin that he had seen something fall from Wilkinson's pocket at the same time the bag was found, the complaint says. The white powdery residue in the bag tested positive as cocaine, according to the complaint.

The residue was less than a gram.

Wilkinson, a member of the Houston Bar Association and a 1985 graduate of South Texas College of Law, could not be reached Monday. He was free on $2,000 bail.

Ellis' court staff said the judge will recuse himself from the case.