[lbo-talk] Re: question for feminists on the list

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 1 06:22:42 PST 2004

"That*&%#*#RogersWoman" wrote:
> You say stubble burn...I say unwanted dental floss.

Don't need the
> fuzz to know my partner is a natural redhead,
either.

> Kel, any thoughts?

Well, I wasn't really asking for list members' personal pube preferences, just what might have caused the social trend. But okay! =)

A [somewhat] similar example I can think of is moustaches. One hundred years ago, a twenty two year old male with a finely groomed moustache would have been considered quite handsome. Now a 22 yr old male with a sporty moustache would be laughable; the moustache would be seen as "nasty" by a lot of women. The reasons given by women NOW may be "I don't like his hairs on my face," "He gets food in it, ew," etc.,--purely utilitarian-- but back then that didn't seem to matter. Likewise, I'm sure people were having oral sex 20+ years ago when women didn't shave their areas as much, and I'm sure hairs got in teeth then, too, but it didn't seem to be such a big deal as to make women shave in the numbers they do now.

There's got to be some reason besides purely pragmatic, utilitarian reasons this has happened.

In a similar [?] note, I read an article recently that cited more and more young women are going to strip clubs to "hang out," whether with other men their age or in solely female groups. By that I mean strip joints that feature female dancers, that only men have traditionally frequented. ("More women visiting strip clubs" - http://wb33.trb.com/news/kdaf-022404-stripclubwomen,0,224230.story )