[lbo-talk] Khodorkovsky's mea cupla

Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 1 08:54:29 PST 2004

My take is the following: it is more b.) and a little bit of c.).

I believe he did write the missive – though probably peppered up

a bit by a chosen ghost writer.

Khodorkovsky knows he has lost – almost everything. He is also

p*ssed off that the liberals didn’t rally around him in his hour

need. What is interesting is his interest in politics. Sure

sounds like he wants to join Putin’s politburo.

He also knows that he does have jail time ahead of him and that

his vast fortune will be cut down to size. The deal to be made

is how much time he will sit in the cooler and how much he will

have to pay.

I thought his missive was spot on (because I have been saying the

same thing for a long time).

I won’t say he feels remorse. He is probably introspective that

he was most success during all the chaos. He is also remembering

something about Russian history – the people who rule never

respect wealth (they respect only power). Khodorkovsky crossed

the line and has paid the price.

a.) a curious attempt to create a dis-information

campaign of sorts in which a ghost writer crafts the

character of a repentent oligarch (almost Dostoevskian

in nature)

b.) Khodorkovsky's an adaptable fellow who sees his

situation clearly and acts accordingly (when on top of

the world act like a big shot, when you're at the

bottom of the heap experience a necessary conversion)

c.) He really has re-thought the whole robber barron

project and feels genuine remorse for merely acquiring

wealth instead of 'creating wealth' for the greater

society.

Whichever story is true, it's a very interesting turn

of events.