[lbo-talk] Re: Why Liberals Lose Elections

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 1 09:23:18 PST 2004

Dear List:

I have been reading the posts both pro and con Ralph Nader's candidacy and the Green Party and I think his running is symptomatic of the disease American culture is afflicted with today -- (N.B. Michael Dawson please stop reading now LOL) -- individualism.

When I look at his web page it declares across the top: "Declare Your Independence." It is interesting that the man who so opposes corporate America would use the most fundamental corporate slogan of all to promote his candidacy -- be different -- obey your thirst.

The fragmenting of community and exaltation of self are the actions that have led to the problems America confronts today. I find it odd that for his broadest appeal Nader asserts individualism, but when it comes to issues of individuality he mushes everything together -- gender, race, sexual orientation -- he sees these categories as being divisive. To me he has things backwards.

Also, someone wrote about doing no harm. As a Buddhist I think avoiding harm is an important fact to be considered before any undertaking. A vote for Kerry, Nader or Bush will have consequences both for the individual casting the vote and those others who will be affected by that vote. I still find Nader's reluctance to say he did have an effect on the 2000 race disturbing. He obviously wanted to have an effect (why else run?), but when he is criticized for the effect he goes blood simple.

I also feel that for most white people, a second Bush administration does not offer the dire consequences his re-election portends for Blacks. Bush's assaults against affirmative action and civi rights laws will only increase, while I am sure that legacies and other pro-white agendas will remain in place.

As for the Green Party, they seem a nice bunch of middle class white people who haven't a clue about racial/ethnic issues. I am disposed to liking them (they say the right things), but again -- I never see them in the 'hood. In my less charitable/un-Buddhist moments they give me the impression of saying: "Don't follow Bush and the other conservative massas, follow us and the liberal massas." This is strictly a personal feeling and I do not believe any Green Party members on this list feel this way. I am only giving you my impressions (also, lose the sunflower, there ain't many of them in the hood either LOL. I know there should be, but there aren't and it sends a very off-putting message).

Finally, for those opposed to Nader needing rehab, I think this is silly. To me there are reasonable and sensible reasons to oppose Nader: 1) his cadidacy helps Bush; 2) his less than enlightened stands on race and sexual orientation; 3) his overemphasis on individualism.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Reister