[lbo-talk] Kerry's Tax Cut Makes Me Wanna Ralph

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 1 19:25:24 PST 2004

> Elementary economic theory. CIT, like ground rent, is paid out
> of realized profit. Almost all CIT comes from big corporations
> who hold a monopoly or oligopoly (shared monopoly)
> market dominance. Again, by elementary theory, these monopolists
> have set their prices, wages, and supply costs at the level they
> calculated to produce maximum profit. Therefore they
> have very little (at best) ability to pass through a tax on
> profit to their workers or consumers.

How is the monopolist's profit maximizing behavior different from a competitive firm's, so descirbed? I thought the point of being a monopolist was that, in theory, although there is a quantity that maximizes profit, you have _more_ leeway, not less, to mess with prices.

And since when has most CIT come from monopolies? I think shareholders in McDonald's, Ford, and Dell would be surprised to hear this.

Christian