[lbo-talk] strong jobs report

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 2 06:54:13 PST 2004

Doug Henwood:

> 308,000 jobs added in March, best in four years.
> Very broad gains -- and not at temp firms. Don't
> know if it can be sustained, but it looks pretty
> solid.

The report says that the gains were mostly in construction, retail trade, and healthcare and social services, though manufacturing employment was flat. Does construction usually lead a broader growth in employment? I know very little about this.

Also, the report says that the 308,000 jobs were created, but that the unemployment (5.7%) and labor force participation rates remained the same. Can someone explain to me how this happens statistically? What variable am I missing? Is it something obvious? I don't quite get it and could use a bit of a primer.

- - - - - John Lacny http://www.johnlacny.com

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!