[lbo-talk] strong jobs report

Gary? sladeg at verizon.net
Fri Apr 2 07:32:59 PST 2004

From: "John Lacny" .

> Also, the report says that the 308,000 jobs were created, but that the
unemployment (5.7%) and labor force participation rates remained the same. Can someone explain to me how this happens statistically? What variable am I missing? Is it something obvious? I don't quite get it and could use a bit of a primer.

"While it would seem odd that the unemployment rate rose despite a jump in payrolls, the two numbers are generated by separate surveys. The unemployment rate comes from a survey of households, which found that 179,000 people entered the labor force in March, resulting in a higher unemployment rate. "