[lbo-talk] RE: jobs for medievalists

Tom tomfromthebx at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 3 07:17:36 PST 2004

Kerry Keane wrote:

>> When -- as Frank discusses -- the
>> right-wing pundits talk about the difference
>> between red states and blue states (I wish our side

>> was the red states -- *sigh*), they're talking
>> about the difference between places where white
>> people live and places where black and brown people

>> live.

> Ummmmm....

> http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/election/map.htm

Actually, red-stateness based on that map is significantly corelated to white (non-latino) population percent. But the corelations explains only 18 percent of the variation.

The county map that Michael Pugliese referred to (http://www.usatoday.com/news/vote2000/pres08.htm) looks like it might get a higher r squared.

I basically agree with John Lacny, but some states wither high people of color populations have Democratic coalitions lining black and brown people with white people and some don't. Unions are one obvious possible explanation for this.

Can someone point me to state by state union density figures on the web?

Tom