[lbo-talk] USA, dumb and dumber

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 3 21:46:25 PST 2004

>From: Chuck0 <chuck at mutualaid.org>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>Dr. LaHaye and Mr. Jenkins did not invent fire and brimstone. But some
>>scholars who study religion say that the phenomenal popularity of their
>>"Left Behind" series of apocalyptic thrillers - now the best-selling adult
>>novels in the United States - are part of a shift in American culture's
>>image of Jesus. The gentle, pacifist Jesus of the Crucifixion is sharing
>>the spotlight with a more muscular warrior Jesus of the Second Coming, the
>>Lamb making way for the Lion.
>
>This stuff matches what I'm seeing out here in Kansas City, in both my
>family and in the churches around here. The upside of this is that it might
>become easier to develop a secular anti-religious movement in opposition to
>this nonsense. I know that the tolerance towards "progressive" religion
>that I had adopted over the years has basically evaporated since I moved
>back to Kansas City. All religion has to go, because it maintains
>conservatism, ignorance, blind obedience to authority and the state, and
>all kind of other social ills.
>
>What strikes me about this purported shift in the American image of Jesus
>is that is parallels the bloody arrogance of the American state. Perhaps we
>can tie evangelical Christianity to the American state and work towards
>eliminating both diseases.
>
>No gods, no masters,
>
>Chuck0

There are some wise thoughts on religion in this NY Times interview today with Karen Armstrong, whom I always find a very interesting writer even when I don't understand what she's talking about: <http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/04/magazine/04QUESTIONS.html>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Check out MSN PC Safety & Security to help ensure your PC is protected and safe. http://specials.msn.com/msn/security.asp