[lbo-talk] USA, dumb and dumber

N P Childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 4 09:38:36 PDT 2004

I've read many of Karen Armstrong's books and would highly recommend her to anyone with even a passing interest in the history of religion. She turns up as a columnist in The Guardian every so often and her comments on the church and politics in the US are quite incisive.

These questions and the brevity of the answers here don't do her intellect justice, IMHO. I've heard her talk about being a failed nun a couple of times, it's always in a sardonic tone, not regretful.

I was in Toronto about a month ago and went to a reading she was giving. The reading was the night before 'Passion' came out and someone asked the inevitable question. In a very refined English accent all she said was that she thought of the message of Jesus was love, tolerance and forgiveness and from what she could see there wasn't much of that in Mel's movie, so she probably wouldn't be going to see it.

Jibes with what she says here.

PC

>There are some wise thoughts on religion in this NY Times interview today
>with Karen Armstrong, whom I always find a very interesting writer even when
>I don't understand what she's talking about:
><http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/04/magazine/04QUESTIONS.html>
>
>Carl

N Paul Childs 5967-157 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5Y 2P3

e-fax 413-683-9725 _______________________________________________________ 'Gee thanks, your validation means oh, so much to me'.

-Art 'Bones' MacDesalavo