[lbo-talk] RE: Gender diversity

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Apr 4 21:29:43 PDT 2004

On Sunday, April 4, 2004, at 04:11 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:

> If they enjoy their position, and derive
> a sense of control from it, this does nothing to change the
> social fact that they are owned by someone else.

It is a fact which can be observed again and again that people can enjoy situations that would appear hellish to other people. Regrettably, human beings can get adjusted to almost any situation and derive some pleasure from it (I believe that there are accounts from Nazi concentration camps, for example, which illustrate this.) This fact goes far to explain why, for example, U.S. workers so seldom revolt against their conditions.

There is, by the way, a rather simple explanation for this in Buddhist psychology.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax