[lbo-talk] Re: Paul Felton: Open Letter to Progressive Democrats

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Apr 5 08:48:53 PDT 2004

To respond first to Ulhas's last question: "Is it the drive for higher profitability that behind this programme?" The answer is tautological, of course, that's what being a capitalist class _means_. But that drive is always complicated, and operatesdirectly only in individual enterprises, not in the capitalist class as a unity.

uvj at vsnl.com wrote:

> Jon Johanning wrote:
>
> > > Perhaps, because they have to compete with Mexican, Chinese and Indian
> > > workers?
>
> > No, it's because they've allowed the labor movement to disintegrate to
> > a state of near collapse (aided by the ruling class, of course).

"They've allowed": What in the hell does this mean? All 280+million u.s. workers got together in a big field and voted to let the capitalists do as they please? This is just a variation on the old Trotskyist explanation of "sell-out leaders," and explanation which explains nothing since it itself needs explanation.

> I was wondering if the globalisation of the reserve army of labour has
> contributed to this process.

Again, of course. But one can go on forever listing various elements in a historical process without even making a beginning on _explaining_ the process.

> Chomsky says that the US business is much more
> class conscious business community, unlike other countries.

Many have noted how class-conscious the u.s. ruling class has been from the beginning: See James Madison, Federalist No. 10. (I think but it's been a while since I read it, that Federalist # 51 is also illuminating.) But that is a generalized fact, and probably different explanations are needed for it at different times in u.s. history.

A pure speculation: The U.S. ruling class has always "felt" itself to be in a more precarious position than have other ruling classes on the whole. _If_ this were the case, then one would need to start looking for what in the dynamic of u.s. history would be the material grounds for such a consciousness. I'm not a historian, and I wouldn't even make a guess at that, but perhaps some historian has???

To sum up: The questions being asked in this thread are improper questions _unless_ it is recognized that no 500 word answer is even going to provide a start in answering them. We can speculate, & note various small patches of the elephant, but it is obscurantist to attempt to offer a full answer in an e-mail post.

Carrol