[lbo-talk] Re: Paul Felton: Open Letter to Progressive Democrats

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 5 13:54:45 PDT 2004

uvj at vsnl.com wrote:

>Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>> To respond first to Ulhas's last question: "Is it the drive for higher
>> profitability that behind this programme?" The answer is tautological,
>> of course, that's what being a capitalist class _means_.
>
>The question was specific to the US capitalism. The European and Japanese
>capitalisms have not found it necessary (or possible) to think of the
>rollback of the the entire framework of civil rights and the welfare state,

My friend Kim Phillips-Fein is doing a diss for the Columbia history department on biz reactions to the New Deal. In a phrase, her argument (based on lots of archival research) is that the U.S. business class *never* accepted the New Deal, and once WW II was over, set about undoing it. They were pretty marginal in politics until the 1970s, but now they've pretty much won the battle.

Doug