[lbo-talk] Air America Radio: Democratic Party Business as Usual

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Apr 5 16:46:56 PDT 2004

At 3:27 PM -0500 4/4/04, Chuck0 wrote:
>>As for professionalism, there are lots of individuals
>>professionally trained in broadcast journalism who do not have
>>full-time jobs doing it. Just looking at Columbus, OH, I can think
>>of three right away: Bob Fitrakis, Evan Davis <evan at iwaynet.net>,
>>and Chris Shumway <cshum1 at mindspring.com>, the last of whom is a
>>former radio and TV broadcaster (for CBS and NBC affiliates, not
>>for the independent media) who now teaches video production at
>>Capital University: Chris's resume is available at
>><http://chris.shumway.tripod.com/id29.htm>.
>
>Chris is an interesting guy who has true radical politics and
>broadcasting talent. I've talked to him and he's told me some
>hair-raising stories about working as an anchor for local TV. He's
>also been active with the Cleveland IMC.

I didn't know that you knew Chris. If we had a well-supported nationwide network of radio stations on the left, Chris (who deserves every word of your praise) and others like him would be making a living doing what they like and do so well.

BTW, here's a book that Chris co-authored -- buy this book!

***** Digital Dilemmas: Ethical Issues for Online Media Professionals

By Robert I. Berkman, Christopher A. Shumway

Journalism and mass communications professionals entering the innovative world of new media technology face a wave of challenging and often unanticipated ethical quandaries. Digital Dilemmas: Ethical Issues for Online Media Professionals is the first title in Iowa State Press' Media and Technology series (Alan B Albarran, series editor). This important new text establishes a framework for discussing, understanding, and ultimately making sound decisions on meeting these ethical challenges. In addition, the book provides guidelines for approaching and making decisions from an ethical standpoint.

Part one of the text gives background and overview information to examine existing professional ethical codes and their applicability in the new media. Part two delves into the ethical dilemmas faced by all online communications professionals-privacy, speech and intellectual property. Part three warns the reader about three specific types of ethical hazards-speed vs. accuracy and quality; validating Internet sources; and blurring editorial with commercial information.

Through the use of historical summaries, discussion of specific problems, case study illustrations, critical thinking exercises, chapter summaries, key points, and recommended readings, each chapter comprehensively explores ethical issues. Aimed at students as well as practicing journalists and media professionals, Digital Dilemmas serves as the essential text and user's guide to the emerging ethical challenges facing those who work or plan to work in the online media.

Availability: In Stock Publication Date: 2003 Size: 320 pages; 6 x 9 Binding: Paperback Publisher: Blackwell Publishing

<http://store.blackwell-professional.com/0813802369.html> <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0813802369/dissidentvoic-20/002-1963927-5722437> *****

At 3:27 PM -0500 4/4/04, Chuck0 wrote:
>Air America is Democratic Party fluff, but at least it is a bit more
>lively than the stuff you hear on Pacifica. Democracy Now has solid
>radical politics, but does Amy Goodman have to b so dour and serious
>all the time?

I, too, think that Pacifica can use a keen sense of satire. I don't think that Amy Goodman would be very funny, though, even if she tried to be (which isn't a criticism of her -- just my impression of her personality).

As for Air America, I found the following bit at Infoshop.org: "Sadly, the folks at Air America Radio could o-nly find space for a grand total of 2 black people, by my count. Chuck D, frontman for the great rap group Public Enemy, deserves better than to be o-ne of the token black guys for this doomed misadventure. The other is Mark Riley, who cohosts the show Morning Sedition. Both Chuck D and Mark Riley have 2 white cohosts" (at <http://www.infoshop.org/inews/stories.php?story=04/04/04/1286463>).

Yes, send money to Infoshop.org also. Speaking of radicals in need of money to do their work, Tom Hayes <hayes.18 at osu.edu>, the director of _People and the Land_ <http://store.globalexchange.org/peopleland.html>, is trying to raise money for a new documentary about Palestinians. He has applied for many grants, but so far he has received only one. If you have watched and liked _People and the Land_, please help Tom.

>[lbo-talk] Re: lbo-talk Digest, Vol 4, Issue 40
>C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
>Mon Apr 5 13:08:34 PDT 2004
<snip>
>It's a bit much, Doug, to call that "the Counterpunch line," if for
>no other reason because of their willingness to post quite different
>accounts: e.g. (to choose one at random), "Israel and the US War on
>Iraq" <www.counterpunch.org/estabrook02262003.html>, which argues
>roughly that the U.S. doesn't need lessons in imperial brutality
>from anyone... --CGE

_CounterPunch_ appears to be more open to publishing authors whose politics sharply differs from its editors' than most liberal/left journals. Its openness may be best illustrated by the range of articles that it has published on the 2004 US presidential election:

E.g.

Mickey Z, "Don't Turn Off...Turn On: From ABB to ON," <http://www.counterpunch.org/mickey04032004.html>. vs. Joel Wendland, "Marxists for Kerry," <http://www.counterpunch.org/wendland03272004.html> -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>