[lbo-talk] Re: Paul Felton: Open Letter to Progressive

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Apr 5 21:23:35 PDT 2004

Brian Charles Dauth wrote:

> I have. I cannot accept the continuing destruction of the black and queer
> communities, the shoving back of women into postures of subservience, the
> further Christianization of America. I could shrug my shoulders, vote for
> Nader and maintain my purity like Fred MacMurray in The Caine Mutiny.
> Instead I chose to try to stop the maniac.

It's your judgment -- but don't distort the case against Kerry by phrasing it this way.

I oppose Kerry for the _same_ reasons you support him. A DP victory will be as bad, perhaps worse within a short time span of less than a decade, for women, blacks, queers, et al. It's not a matter of purity, about which I don't give a shit, but a matter of political judgment about how progressives can best serve, and in the short run as well as the long run, of the interests you name here.

I don't know who this "Bill" is you are responding to, but he doesn't give a very good presentation of the case against supporting Kerry.

> And then I go to work on the wacko guy I replaced the maniac with.

You are kidding yourself. Doug claims it's not an either/or, but it is.

Carrol