[lbo-talk] Buddhist psychology

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 6 10:30:18 PDT 2004

Joanna wrote:

Frankly, I find eastern philosophy/psychology much more interesting, deep, and thorough than western flavors. It seems to me that only in the twentieth century did western psychology catch up with the east, and even now, the trend is to draw away from meditational/talk therapy and to use drugs instead. A pity.

======

I would also recommend "The Diamond That Cuts Through Illusion", a book by Thich Nhat Hanh which includes an original translation of a critical sutra -- the Prajnaparamita -- along with commentaries on its meanings.

Americans interested in Buddhism tend to read commentary after commentary after interpretation, after popularization, never touching translated original sources. This book (as well as others by Thich Nhat Hanh) corrects this by placing the sutra in the center.

DRM