[lbo-talk] smokeless tabbaco

That*&%#*#RogersWoman debburz at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 7 13:29:04 PDT 2004

Sounds good ...see

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/06/health/06ESSA.html

Hmmm. Mixed feelings on how good it is. On one hand, I think it presents a viable alternative, because it offers a reduced risk. If one is of the mindset that we shouldn't have any risks at all, then "snus" is another controversy. It would be interesting to see the data on this, wouldn't it?

However, I am suspicious of the motives of the author of the article who works for AEI.

AEI's stated policy on their website is such:

The American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research is dedicated to preserving and strengthening the foundations of freedom--limited government, private enterprise, vital cultural and political institutions, and a strong foreign policy and national defense--through scholarly research, open debate, and publications. Founded in 1943 and located in Washington, D.C., AEI is one of America's largest and most respected "think tanks."

All of which reminds me of my ol' history teacher's admonition: "consider the source."

Should be interesting to see if this goes any further in this country.

- Deborah R.

=====