[lbo-talk] Review of Griffin's 9-11 book

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Wed Apr 7 16:32:48 PDT 2004

Hi,

This book by David Ray Griffin is largely a compilation and restatement of materials from a variety of print and electronic sources, as the author points out in his Introduction and Acknowledgments. Griffin's book reflects a relentless disregard of substantial evidence from multiple sources that contradict the claims he is making. Griffin repeatedly uses fallacies of logic in his presentation rendering whole sections of the book refutable on this basis alone.

While Griffin repeatedly refers to the "claims" of "critics" of the "official" account of the events of 9-11-01, he is clearly endorsing these views. In a number of cases Griffin becomes an apologist for authors (such as Thierry Meyssan or Illarion Bykov and Jared Israel) whose work has been thoroughly demolished by an armada of writers across the political spectrum. Griffin accomplishes this by selectively highlighting certain aspects of their work while sidestepping their most lurid and outlandish assertions in which they claim the functioning of vast conspiracies on the flimsiest of evidence.

I am frankly puzzled and saddened that Richard Falk, Howard Zinn, and Rosemary Radford Reuther-persons for whom I have tremendous respect-have lent their names to this seriously flawed book.

Chip Berlet Senior Analyst Political Research Associates Webmaster http://www.publiceye.org

<<SNIP>>