[lbo-talk] Kerry's O'Reilly Factor

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Apr 8 07:18:40 PDT 2004

> Tom Friedman's column today is, as usual, a pathetic reflection of the
> hand-wringing that is probably going on all over Washington these days.
> Not only does he repeat the idiotic notion that only ex-Baathists and
> "foreign and local Islamists who are trying to undermine any prospect
> of modernism, pluralism and secularism in Iraq" are fighting the
> occupation, but he laments the fact that there is no effective "Iraqi
> army" (analogous to the South Vietnamese army, which was of course a
> big help to the U.S. :-) ) to do the job for the occupation forces.
>
> Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org

Friedman is the perfect Beltway commissar, and his hand-wringing is indeed reflective of the general anxiety that must be gripping the DC elite these days. Kinda fun to watch, in a grim sense, but with so much blood and so many bodies on the line, any amusement is fleeting. Still, note that Friedman does not state what this invasion is truly about, which should be clear to anyone who can read -- re-colonization and the corporate takeover of a vital chunk of globe. The notion that "we" want to democratize the poor Iraqis is so much bad tap dancing at this point; lots of clackety-clack on blood-stained tile, adorned with rotting corpses.

DP