[lbo-talk] US: The illusion of permanence

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Apr 8 10:09:34 PDT 2004

Ulhas quoted

> JEFFREY D SACHS
>
> 5. Demographics will weaken America's militaristic approach to the
world.
> Much of Bush's support comes from white fundamentalist Christian men.
This,
> in my opinion, is a social group that is fighting a rearguard battle
against
> the growing social power of women,
> immigrants, and other religions.

I think Mr. Sachs underestimates the scope of Bush support. Of the top of my head, the following groups tend to support Bush: - rural and small town inhabitants, and to a somewhat lesser degree - suburbanites - blue collar workers, especially in construction trades - small business owners, contractors - corporate functionaries, software engineers and kindred mid-level employees threatened with downsizing - Southern whites Fundamentalist xtian men alone cannot account for nearly half off the popular vote Bush received in 2000 and will likely to receive in 2004.

Otherwise, I have to say that agree with what Mr. Sachs said, which I find ironic, if not unsettling.

Wojtek