[lbo-talk] Up the river

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Fri Apr 9 05:24:45 PDT 2004

Was listening to this morning's discussion of the Tyco trial on NPR. According to the report, the defendants face the possibility of going to Sing Sing, not a country-club style Fed Pen, because the trial is in NY.

I know two people who were sent up the river to a country club Fed Pen, Allenwood in PA, and the trial was in NY. One was the mafia boss I mentioned a while back. The other was a bank loan officer at a small home town bank. He was ripping off the bank to pay off gambling debts and got caught when a losing streak meant that he couldn't pay it off. Werid thing was, the guy had a sports card collection that, had he sold it, he could have paid it off! We worked together for a year and half in between sentencing and when he actually went to prison. I'd get in his car and it'd be littered with the wrappers from the bubble gum he'd buy for the sports cards inside. Letters from him while he was in prison indicated that he just had to slip the guards $100 and go into town for a weekend, uh, furlow.

So when did this change? War on Drugs?

Kelley