[lbo-talk] Protestant fundamentalism: pro-Israel & anti-UN before they existed

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Apr 9 14:16:37 PDT 2004

I've been told that modern American fundamentalism got its start during the West Virginia textbook wars of the early 1970s. This was told to me by somebody who remembers those events and read something about the lasting influence they had on the rise of the religious right.

I've already mentioned that my family has some fundamentalist tendencies, mostly from my mother's side of the family. However, I remember as a little kid going through some books at my grandfather's house in Garnett, Kansas. I still distinctly remember picking up some apocalyptic book that scared the shit out of me. It may have been one of Hal Lindsey's tomes or it could have been something else.

Chalk up another factor that scared religion out of me.

Chuck