[lbo-talk] Protestant fundamentalism: pro-Israel & anti-UN beforethey existed

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 9 15:07:36 PDT 2004

Michael Pollak wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
>
> > I think perhaps you're unintentionally confusing Fundamentalism and
> > Evangelicalism, Michael.
>
> No, I'm not, but that's precisely what the text I was reacting to was
> doing.
>
> What is fascinating to me is how all the core beliefs of fundamentalism
> have remained completely unchanged from their very beginning in the
> nineteen-teens -- and so has its political agenda.

This discussion, unavoidably, focuses on what the various fundamentalist leaders and writers proclaim. It does not even attempt to identify what variations appear among the 'rank and file,' in response to their own concrete condtions of life and the social relations in which they find themselves. What percentage of Roman Catholics use birth control? What percentage of Roman Catholics at one time or another have _not_ opposed abortion (or have had abortions themselves, or have aided and assisted friends and/or family in obtaining an abortion}?

I suspect there is at least as much individual variation among those who belong to fundamentalist denominations. I have known a number of women in the depressive support group who were fundamentalist in religion, indifferent to formal politics, and supportive of single mothers on welfare. And so forth.

Carrol