[lbo-talk] "Does the Jewishness of the neocons influence American foreign...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 9 17:55:36 PDT 2004

With respect, this is nonsense. The state that Israel most resembles is its former ally, apartheid South Africa. It privileges one racial group and discriminates against others, a racial group being defined solely by descent (i.e., one is a member not on the basis of what one says or does, but who one's parents were). Israel is a uniquely racist state, in that all other states are the states of their inhabitants, but Israel is by law the state of that one racial group worldwide. (Even racist South proclaimed itself a white state but not a state of the "white people worldwide.")

Since the illegal occupation and the racist settlements (only for Jews, not for all Israeli citizens) in the Occupied Territories seem not about to end, so long as Israel is backed by the US as its permanent aircraft carrier in the Middle East, we should demand what was necessary in South Africa -- an end to apartheid: one person, one vote from the Jordan to the sea. --CGE