[lbo-talk] another review of Griffin

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 9 20:10:44 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Al Sargis" <bigalsez at YAHOO.COM> To: <SPSM-LIST at LISTSERV.ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU> Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 12:07 PM Subject: Re: Open Letter re: 9-11-01 Richard Curtis: What you say about the response to terror being the problem is true. However, the attack was PRIMARILY on workers, children, tourists-- multi-racial and multi-ethnic--as well as a few power-holders. It was an attack designed for its symbolic value as much as an attack on real power.

If it was initiated by Al-Qaida, it was an attack by an organization established and led by (among others) a capitalist (Osama Bin Laden) of an oppressed people who embrace religion in the opiate Marxist sense. Al-Qaida does not offer a class analysis--North Americans are all the enemy...including you and me. Their analysis is national and religious based. If you don't think so, you should read their statements in this regard. If you think you are just "collateral damage" you are wrong--as a North American, like it or not, you are the target.

Al-Qaida does not confine itself to the "Western world," especially the US. Osama Bin Laden helped get rid of those heathen communist Soviets, with US support. Osama Bin Laden also targets his oppressed Third World brothers and sisters who do not abide by his particular Moslem brand. Al-Qaida forces in Central Asia also train Muslim separatists in northwest China. He is condemned by Third World leaders who are anti-US imperialist (e.g., see statements about the attack on the World Trade Center and Pentagon by Iranian and Libyan leaders).

The US government will not respond in the way we would like to see. Given the organization of Al-Qaida, it will probably be impossible to totally neutralize them by physical force. However, since you and I are identified by Al-Qaida as the "enemy" it behooves us not to have illusions about how they view us, especially as heathen Marxists. I, for one, do not want to be a victim of Al-Qaida OR US capitalism. I will struggle against capitalism, but if Al-Qaida gets in my way I say off them. And, frankly, if they persist in their--direct or indirect--attacks on innocent people (i.e., those who aren't in the ruling class or their policy implementors), anywhere in the world, I think they should be incapacitated as much as possible--preferably by an anti-imperialist force that is under threat by Al-Qaida. But, if worse comes to worse, I won't howl too much if "the enemy of my enemy" does what they're going to do anyhow. --Big Al __________________________________________________-- --- Richard Curtis <RichardCurtis42 at MSN.COM> wrote: September 12, 2001

Before the fanatics destroy all of our rights, Americans must come to grips with a few salient facts after the events of September 11th. Make no mistake about it, freedom is not (yet) under attack. Nor is America. And those who are willing to die for a cause they believe in are not cowards. To call the supreme sacrifice in the service of one's ultimate beliefs cowardly is to completely misunderstand the situation.

The greatest threat to America and Americans lies not in the actions of terrorists, but in the responses to terrorism. American freedom appears to be coming under siege as of yesterday and we as a nation must respond to the massive tragedy in our midst with caution and reason, not reaction and fear. After all, the most likely suspect is himself the creation of the United States intelligence services. It was the CIA that initially recruited, trained, and armed Osama bin Laden and those like him who have lost all respect for human life. In the words of Malcolm X, the chickens have come home to roost.

The attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon were not attacks on America or the American people they were attacks on an economic and political system that subjugates the masses of humanity around the world, and leaves them in misery and poverty. The targets were the system of global trade and military domination that have so enraged the entire world. Capitalism and militarism were the targets, innocent people were caught in the middle as they are in so many conflicts.

Those who are willing to die for their cause are called heroes by those who support their cause. The refrain offered by some that terrorism is by definition cowardly is a politically motivated diversion to keep the rest of us from asking the great question of the day: WHY. Why were those people willing to kill so many? Why were they willing to destroy the lives of so many? What cause is so great that they were willing to give up their own lives?

Until we ask ourselves WHY and respond to the cries for justice by the oppressed the world over those living in or near the centers of capitalism and military power will be in danger. To respond with calls for retribution and no calls for analysis and understanding is only to invite more and ever greater tragedy. As the old saying goes, "An eye for an eye only leaves the whole world blind."

The world need not be a dangerous place. It is a dangerous place because so many are so oppressed and those who have lost everything, especially hope, will lash out at available targets. Of course, those who planned and carried out these horrific acts must be brought to justice, but we must go farther. By correcting injustice in the world we give hope and we eliminate the motivation for terrorism. That must be our courageous response to such massive horror.

Richard Curtis

West Seattle

(RichardCurtis42 at msn.com; 3611 SW Hanford St., Seattle, WA, 98126; 206-937-4414)

Michael Pugliese