[lbo-talk] NYT: Gettleman's latest dispatch from Iraq

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Apr 10 21:30:20 PDT 2004

Michael Pollak wrote:

> "To be honest, we weren't like this before," he said. "But we're
> religious people, and our leader has been threatened. We would be
> ashamed to stay in our houses with our wives at a time like this."

This is what I meant when I said the most important (in fact the only important) figure in the poll of Iraqi responses to the occupation was that the determined resistance was over 10%. As long as that figure stays over 10%, the Occupation doesn't stand a chance of establishing order. (Though it seems that the U.S. may have accomplished a minor miracle of uniting Sunni & Shiite as Iraqi.

I have never said that polls were inaccurate or bullshit. I have merely said that like any other "mere fact" they need to be interpreted intelligently. To see any kind of poll of passive Iraqi opinion as in any way binding on u.s. anti-imperialist struggle was not an intelligent way to interpret the poll.

Carrol