[lbo-talk] Would Gore have invaded Iraq?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 11 10:17:49 PDT 2004

Doug wrote:

Yes, we've discussed this before. And as I've said, I don't see how this makes much sense - what really is gained by this "control" that couldn't be accomplished by other means?

<snip>

It may be that they really think this way, but it seems like a holdover from some other time, when control of resources and real estate was more important

=====

Agreed.

I think your interview with Corey Robin, centered around his Boston Review published essay, "Conservatives after the Cold War", provided a possible clue about ideologues' (and elites in general) growing disconnection from an understanding of the world's true workings.

For the curious, see the following...

* Doug's interview - <http://shout.lbo-talk.org:8000/content/lbo/RadioArchive/2004/04_03_04.pls>

* Boston Review - <http://bostonreview.net/BR29.1/robin.html>

If Mr. Robin is correct, it may be that the true ignorance of our present crop of elites' has led them to blunder their way, through a series of inter-locked misunderstandings, into an action not suited for present realities and, therefore, a disaster.

DRM